There are three types of student visas for international students:

Academic Studies (F visa)
This type of student visa is required if you've been accepted into an accredited college or university in the United States.
Non-Academic or Vocational Studies (M Visa).
If you've been accepted to a non-academic or vocational U.S. college or university, this is the type of student visa you should apply for
Academic Studies as an Exchange Visitor (J Visa)
The "J" visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs. You will need this type of student visa if you've been accepted into a program through a designated sponsoring organization to participate in an exchange visitor program in the United States.


Singapore Visa Process


The visa officer is looking for an honest student who intends to study in the US, has reasonable funds and an economic standing/ financial plan to pay for it and intends to return to India upon completion.


F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions, which is usually not more than 20 hours in a week. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment, after they have been studying for one academic year. These three types of employment are:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)


M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies. 

For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.


The Spouse and unmarried children [below the age of 21 years] can apply for a Dependent Visa to accompany/join he student visa holder. The dependents do not have a right to work or study in the US.

Caanwings have the consultants who have years of experience of Visa Application and provide working closely with embassies

Caanwings can help you to get on track.
Free Assessment of your Eligibility
Contact Us