Work Permit Schemes for Foreign Professionals & Entrepreneurs

The purpose of this guide is to provide an overview of various work permit schemes available in Singapore for foreign working professionals and entrepreneurs. Singapore has become the ideal business and commercial hub in Southeast Asia, partly due to its creative immigration policies designed to attract seasoned entrepreneurs and working professionals from around the world.


The Employment Pass (EP) is the main type of work permit meant for company owners or skilled employees who will be working in Singapore. Your fixed monthly salary must be more than S$3,000 (w.e.f. 1 January 2012) and you should be a degree holder from a reputable university. There is no official quota system limiting the number of EPs that can be issued.

  • Validity
     An EP is initially issued for 1-2 years (at the discretion of authorities) and renewable as long as the applicant continues to be employed by the company.
  • Eligibility
    Company owners and professional staff with tertiary education and relevant experience.
  • Quota System
    There is no quota official system for EPs.
  • Permanent Residence Eligibility
    Employment Pass holders are eligible to apply for PR in due course.


For more detailed information on the EP, refer to Singapore Employment Pass guide.


The Entrepreneur Pass (EntrePass) is a variation of the Employment Pass, and is the primary type of work pass for owners of newly incorporated (or to be incorporated) Singapore companies who wish to relocate to Singapore to operate their new business.

  • Validity
    An EntrePass is initially issued for 1 year and renewable after that as long as the business remains viable.
  • Eligibility
    Business owners who wish to incorporate a new company or have recently incorporated a company that is less than six months old.
  • Quota System
    There is no official quota system for EntrePass.
  • Permanent Residence Eligibility
    Entrepreneur Pass holders are eligible to apply for PR in due course.


For further information on the EntrePass, refer to Singapore EntrePass guide.


The Personalized Employment Pass (PEP) is a special type of Employment Pass that is not tied to a specific employer. The biggest benefit of having a PEP work permit is that you can switch jobs without re-applying for a new employment pass provided that you are not unemployed for more than six months. The biggest downside is that you are not allowed to start your own company as a PEP holder; instead the pass is meant for you to be employed by a third-party employer. The eligibility requirements for PEP are quite strict.

  • Validity
    PEP is issued for 3 years and non-renewable.
  • Eligibility
    Well paid professionals who want to work in Singapore for an employer. PEP holders cannot start their own business in Singapore.
  • Quota System
    There is no official quota system for PEP.
  • Permanent Residence Eligibility
    PEP holders are eligible to apply for PR in due course.


For further details on PEP, refer to Personalized Employment Pass guide.


The S Pass is for mid-skilled employees who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $2,200 (w.e.f. 1 July 2013). S Pass applicants are assessed based on employer’s quota eligibility and applicant’s qualifications. Instead of a degree, a technical diploma is acceptable for this kind of work pass.

  • Validity
    S Pass is initially issued for 1-2 years (at the discretion of authorities) and renewable after that as long as the applicant continues to be employed by the employer.
  • Eligibility
    Mid-level technical staff.
  • Quota System
    Yes. For more details on quota, see Computation of Company’s Quota Balance.
  • Permanent Residence Eligibility
    S pass holders are eligible to apply for PR; however, they may have to wait at least 4-5 years and have a stable job history in Singapore.

The Miscellaneous Work Pass is issued to foreigners working in Singapore on short-term assignments. More specifically, you will be issued a Miscellaneous Work Pass if you are:

  • Involved in activities directly related to the organization or conduct of any seminar, conference, workshop, gathering or talk concerning any religion, race or community, or political end;
  • A foreign religious worker giving talks relating directly or indirectly to any religion; or
  • A foreign journalist, reporter or an accompanying crew member not sponsored by any Singapore Government agency.


The other information about this scheme is as follows:
  • Validity
  • Quota System
    No. Each application is considered based in its own merit.
  • Permanent Residence Eligibility
    Miscellaneous Work Pass holders are not eligible to apply for PR.
Dependent Pass Scheme

A Singapore Dependent Pass (DP) is a family relocation visa issued to spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years) of foreign employees holding a work pass of type Employment Pass or Entrepreneur Pass.

Permanent Residence Scheme for Work Pass Holders

Holders of professional work pass are eligible to apply for permanent residence in due course

Caanwings have the consultants who have years of experience of Visa Application and provide working closely with embassies

Caanwings can help you to get on track.
Free Assessment of your Eligibility
Contact Us